Category Archives: community

A Season at the Minnesota Renaissance Festival Comes to a Close

At the Minnesota Renaissance Festival, I perform various cooking demonstrations with my assistants.  In past years, we’ve created a lot of food that needed to fill empty bellies, but we didn’t have the means to do so.  A couple of … Continue reading

Posted in community, Food, giving back | Tagged , , , | 1 Comment

Stretching your Food Budget

In today’s economy, many are making cutbacks in all areas of the household budget.  Anything that can be eliminated is considered.For many, the days of eating out everyday are gone and are being replaced with brown bag lunches. People find … Continue reading

Posted in community, Food, giving back, Hints, Uncategorized | Tagged , , , , | 1 Comment

Gratitude

This past season and year have been amazing.  First, I became the official food writer for “Renaissance Magazine.”  Second, despite the weather, the appearance at Siouxland was well worth it between the demonstrations and cookbook sales.  The cold and rainy … Continue reading

Posted in community, giving back, history, News | Tagged , , , , | Leave a comment

Eating on a budget

With the troubling economy and unemployment rates at a higher than average level, people are looking for ways to cut costs where ever they can.   Everyone needs to eat.  There are ways to cut back and make the most … Continue reading

Posted in community, Food, Hints | Tagged , , | 2 Comments

Giving Back

One of the non-profits I support is Second Harvest Heartland.  Second Harvest Heartland is the Upper Midwest’s largest hunger-relief organization with a mission of ending hunger through community partnerships, and is a 501(c)(3)nonprofit organization.  They count on volunteer hours, food and … Continue reading

Posted in community, Food, giving back, News | Tagged , | Leave a comment